The parishes of Acton Burnell, Frodesley, Pitchford and Ruckley & Langley were grouped together in 1938 to form a single Parish Council. The official name being Acton Burnell Frodesley Pitchford Ruckley & Langley Parish Council.

Acton Burnell is the largest of our five villages and is the site of Acton Burnell Castle. The castle ruins, owned today by English Heritage, are open to the public free of charge.  Acton Burnell is also known for being the site of one of the first meetings of Parliament in 1283. The gable ends of the Parliament Barn can still be glimpsed in the grounds of the 18th Century Manor House now home to Concord College. Nearby is St Mary's church, which was built in the 13th Century and holds monuments to the Lee family, ancestors of General Robert E. Lee who led the Confederate army in the American Civil War. The church is unusual in having both an Anglican and a Catholic cemetery, marking the time when Acton Burnell Hall housed a Catholic convent and girls' school. The village is home to the only local shop and Post Office in our parish.

Pitchford is the northern most of our villages and is home to Pitchford Hall, which is regarded as one of the finest Tudor houses in Britain.  This large black-and-white timbered property is privately owned but does provide pre-arranged 'restoration tours', the details of which can be found on their website. A particular attraction is the 'world's oldest tree house' which dates back to 1692, and which was once visited by the young Princess Victoria. Also worth a visit is the Church of St Michael and All Angels, sited near Pitchford Hall, featuring a solid oak carved effigy of a 13th century crusader, Sir John de Pitchford. The Village Hall in Pitchford, provides the meeting place for our parish. It is the venue for ticketed social events, excercise classes, fayres and parties. It also hosts a monthly Pub Night which gives local residents and visitors alike, the chance to get together for a drink, a chat.

Langley has a place in the history books as the site of Langley Chapel, built in 1313 by Richard Burnell.  This pretty little chapel sits on its own in the countryside, and has been untouched by the passage of time. The peaceful and simple interior looks much as it would have done in the 17th century.

Frodesley is also home to a picturesque church; St Mark's is thought to be one of the smallest in Shropshire.

Our Villages can be enjoyed on foot or on horseback by following a network of footpaths, bridleways and quiet lanes.  Views of the Lawley, Lodge Hill and Causeway Wood make this part of the county a beautiful spot at any time of year.

 

 

Meetings

14th July 2020
7:30 pm
15th September 2020
7:30 pm